Saturday, October 17, 2009

Frozen Peaches

Over the next few weeks, I am going to catch up with all the canning and things that I've been up to. I know it is probably a little late for you to do it this season, but I am hoping you can get some good ideas for next year. So, watch for lots of new posts.

Now, I have a few thoughts on frozen peaches. Typically, I have had bad experiences with them. I have done the frozen peach slices - individually frozen on a tray then all placed in a bag and I have even tried one suggestion of washing the fuzz off of the peach with hot water and putting the peaches - whole - into a bag - skins and all. Then to eat them, you just thaw them under hot water and eat them. That was supposed to turn out just like a fresh peach. Not so - at least not in my freezer. I ended up throwing most of those out to the cows - most of my frozen peach experiments turn to mush.

This year, I had a new suggestion given to me from a friend that I was excited to try and I did it! So far, I haven't tried the end results, but I have very high hopes for this recipe and actually using it. Ready?

2 quarts sliced (or cut up) peaches
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon fruit fresh

Mix sugar and fruit fresh together and stir into sliced up peaces. Stir and allow to sit for a minute before you stir again. Make sure sugar mix is completely dissolved. Pour mixture into freezer bags. Label your bags. Freeze.

Thaw to use as a pie filling, ice cream topping, smoothie ingredient, or more - I'm sure the options are endless. Only limited to your creativity.
So, here is the mixture - in the stirring, sugar dissolving process.


I put it into quart bags. Make sure to leave room for expansion during freezing.
And frozen - in my freezer. Isn't it pretty? I can't wait to try it!

I know - it makes you want some frozen peaches, huh? =)

2 comments:

Nat said...

Jamie, this is how I freeze my peaches and LOVE it. We just used a bag to put inside crepes. Also, this is how I prefer to make my pies (as opposed to pie filling) as the fruit is only cooked once. Love it for shortcake, cobblers,smoothies; the possibilities are endless. Also, I only add a scant 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 T. lemon juice to 6 cups sliced peaches in a gallon ziploc and give it a gentle shake to combine everything. Then, into the freezer they go!

Jamie said...

Natalie - that is awesome. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad to have found this way...
-Jamie

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

What things are most Important to Store?