Once upon a time on this blog, a friend posted about canning butter. Well, I have since learned the following and think you should be aware of it:
IMPORTANT NOTE: The canning of butter is extremely dangerous and should NEVER be done for home consumption. The National Center for Home Food Preservation at the University of Georgia-Atlanta says that it is not an acceptable way to preserve butter. You aren't "processing" the butter to kills the bacteria...you are only heating the jars to form a seal. This still allows botulism to grow and flourish in the butter....and because botulism is odorless, tasteless and colorless, it can be toxic to your family!
Check out their website www.uga.edu/nchfp for more information. (The link will take you to a specific question about canning of butter.)
Until next time...