Sunday, March 1, 2009

I made the Very Simple Spelt Bread!


Yes, it was very easy. A simple quick bread that could be used for breakfast (as toast), lunch (for a sandwich), or dinner (in place of roll). We actually had it alongside our steak, potatoes, salad, and green beans for dinner tonite. It was good with a bit of butter and even better with a drizzle of honey.

The recipe calls for sesame seeds (which I don't care for), but I used half flax & half steel cut oats instead. I also added one tablespoon of honey (as I saw in variations on the recipe link). It was very good- a tad on the heavy side, but that's what you get with a whole grain, non-yeast bread.

Other variations included raisins and cinnamon, which sound fabulous for this type of bread.

So, there you go- I did it, you can too! Happy baking!

*note, if you don't have spelt flour, any whole grain flour (especially wheat) would probably be just as good, but you'd want to check for substitution amounts- you'd likely use 1/2 c to 1c less flour if not using spelt.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

What things are most Important to Store?