Thursday, June 17, 2010

Grain fed or Grass fed beef?

Okay - another one - this was really interesting to me, too. Do you prefer one over the other?


Meat scientists at Texas A&M University have reported that, contrary to popular thought, consuming ground beef from grass-fed cattle has no beneficial effects on blood lipids in people, while consuming ground beef from grain-fed cattle does have a positive outcome.

Dr. Stephen Smith, who led the team's work, said researchers first looked at previous studies and could find no scientific justification for statements that grass-fed beef is healthier and more nutritious than grain-fed product. 

Here is the rest of the short article - including the benefits to eating grain-fed beef.

4 comments:

Dacia said...

The real problem with grain fed beef is that it is not very healthy for the cow. They are not made to eat grains, especially corn. It clogs up their system. They eventually have to have help to have their digestive systems cleaned out. This leads to a higher incidence of e coli tainted beef. Grass fed (nature intended) beef are healthier and do not have those kind of problems. IS the meat any better for you? I don't know.

Kim said...

While I can't really argue the validity of this study, what with my not being a scientist or doctor. I do, however, find it suspect and disingenuous. Kind of like the HFCS commercials.

It tastes better and I'm not getting HGH and all that genetically modified corn crapola.

Anonymous said...

I love your site and stumbled on it recently. I have become alot more aware of the food industry and my own consumption food habits and have taken a much more proactive and healthy approach to what I let my family consume. I agree with the previous comments. I think you should take note of who the sponsers of that "study" are. Sometimes so-called "scientific studies" are just masking as commercials.

Just some food for thought.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the other comments, red flags starting waving, as soon as I saw the study was done by Texas A&M. Corp farming pockets run deep. :)

Pam

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

What things are most Important to Store?