|photo compliments of Timberline Storage Solutions|
One common question many preppers ask is, “How do I start a food storage plan?” Well, this is a really good question. There are numerous ways to start your emergency food supply without starving in the process. With a little determination and dedication, you can be prepared for any major disaster or emergency.
5 Simple Ways to Get Your Food Storage Plan Started
The first step is to simply get started. Here are simple ways to start your food storage today.
1. Buy in Bulk – If you can afford it, one of the most cost-efficient ways to build your food storage is by buying your products in bulk. Buying your foods in larger quantities, such as in cases, provides you with great savings in the long run. The “per item” prices are always much cheaper when purchased in bulk.
2. Add to It Regularly – For preppers living on a tight budget, it's more affordable to build your supply by adding to it regularly. Keep a list of the products you already have stored, as well as those you'd like to add. Each time you go on your regular grocery shopping trip, add a few of those items and check them off of your list.
3. Coupons and Deals – Many preppers start with various products they find on sale. Others look for deals in newspaper and mail ads, as well as valuable coupons. If you happen to come across a great deal on a food product you normally eat, buy it and add it to your storage. In the end, these coupons and deals will help you save a great deal of money, which you can wisely reinvest in your food storage plan.
4. Short Term Food Storage – You and your family can find great comfort in knowing that you have enough food supply to last you for at least a couple of days. Many short term meal supplies come in 72-hour, 90-day and 6-month plans. Emergency preparedness experts advise having enough food to last at least three days in the event of a crisis.
5. Long Term Food Storage – We all learned an important lesson after Hurricane Katrina. Many local residents were without gas, power and water for days, weeks, even months. If a disaster this deadly ever happens again, those who've prepared with a long-term plan will be the powerhouses in town. Long-term food storage is also the best route for emergency preparedness for large families.
This content was prepared by Dirk Puckett. Daily Bread is an industry leader in long-term food storage plans. Ready to begin putting your food storage plan together? Start here and place your order today.
Also check out Timberline Storage Solutions for maintaining your food storage.