Friday, August 15, 2008

List of Personal Hygiene Supplies for 3 Months Storage

Thank you to those who participated in our poll. I think it was great to get feedback on how many items we use in our households. I have a terrible memory when it comes to time and dates, so remembering when I opened that last tube of toothpaste and figuring out how long it took me to use it is not an easy task. So, thanks for your help.

(And for the record, we pretty much all agreed on how many items we needed)

So, as you add personal hygiene products to your food storage or "emergency" storage or just storage, this is my recommendation for how many items you need to keep on your shelf (if you use one, then replace it and always have this number on your shelf):

These numbers are on a per person basis:
  • Deodorant: 2 sticks
  • Toothpaste: 2 tubes
  • Laundry Soap: 3 boxes/botttles of 32 load capacity
  • Shampoo/Conditioner: 1 bottle of each

Here are a few other things that weren't included in the poll that I think are necessary to include in your storage:
  • Body Soap (for bathing): 2 bars or bottles
  • Hand Soap (like at the sink): 1 bar per sink or 1 extra large jug of liquid soap
  • Toilet paper: I think this was discussed in a previous blog post, but I cannot remember what the numbers were...
  • Razors, for men or women: 3 of whatever kind you use (1 per month)
  • Shaving cream: 2 cans
  • Q-tips, 1 box
  • Toothbrushes: 1 extra, since you are supposed to rotate every 3 months
  • Bathroom cleaners: 1 extra bottle of each product you use.
If you have a baby, I also recommend you have a few extra essentials on hand:
  • Baby Shampoo: 1 bottle
  • Your favorite diaper rash ointment, or baby powder: 1 tube
  • Baby Tylenol: 1 bottle
  • Wipes: 1 extra package of however you buy them
  • Diapers: (just don't run out)
  • Lotion: 1 bottle
That should cover the basics. If I had to live off of it, I might survive. What do you think, did I miss much? Did I add too many things? or is it about right?
By the way, I know bathroom cleaners isn't really considered personal hygiene, but I know if my bathroom isn't clean, I sure don't feel clean, so I thought it was important to include it.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

Because diapers are so expensive and sometimes hard to buy to just put in storage I have found a way to help me feel good about having extra diapers. I found some cloth diapers on clearance and bought some pins. So if run out of diapers and I absolutely had to I would have something to put on my baby. Thanks for the list. It's very helpful.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

What things are most Important to Store?