Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Apple Pie Filling Recipe, plus Bonus Recipe

For those of you who loved that pie crust for the deep dish apple pie - I am reminding you of the link for the yummy apple pie filling recipe. (of if you are new to the blog this is where to find it.)

http://histakes-food-storage.blogspot.com/2008/10/apple-pie-filling_22.html

I love to bake in the winter. So, I've been using my jars of peach pie filling, apple pie filling, and cherry pie filling more than I should. (So much for that new year's resolution to lose weight - besides, baking heats the house!)

My favorite uses for my pie fillings is a good basic crisp topping. Do you have the recipe?

Here is my favorite:

Crisp topping
(good with any pie filling you are craving)

makes an 8x8 pan.

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oatmeal (I use a heaping 1/2 cup)
1/3 cup butter, softened but not melted
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)

Cut ingredients together. Sprinkle over pie filling in an 8x8 or 9x9 square pan.
Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees until brown and crispy.

(Serve with vanilla ice cream)



That makes my mouth water. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

By the way - I am hoping most of these ingredients would be in your food storage. This is the time of year when I sit back and use some of my storage and keep it rotated. I haven't noticed any wonderful sales in my area (other than cereal) to keep building my food storage.
So, my plan? just make sure I don't run out of the basic food items (and toilet paper necessities) I love - keep at least one or two packages on the shelf always - until a good sale comes... then I will really stock up.

Happy eating!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

What things are most Important to Store?