Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Spelt Taste, Flavor and Grinding Suggestions

I love the questions I get. I am making the answers posts rather than just replying to comments so that more people can learn. I believe that many people have the same question, and just don't always think to ask. And I don't think that everyone reads the comments that are posted.

So, today's question:
Is spelt an acquired taste? Like does it have a nuttier flavor than regular wheat flour? And can you grind spelt in a wheat grinder and make flour just like you can make regular flour? Thanks for your help!

Answers:

Taste:

I believe most foods are an acquired taste. So, therefore, I think spelt is an acquired taste. However, it didn't take me long to acquire the spelt taste as it has to acquire the taste of some other foods (including hard red wheat, which I still think has a bit of a bitter taste).

Nutty-ness?
Spelt is described as having a nuttier flavor than "regular wheat flour". To me it is like trying to describe salt. I like the way salt enhances flavors and adds that perfect "saltiness". Spelt adds that perfect whole wheat, not too heavy or cardboard taste and is kind of "spelt-y".

I know, that was pretty descript. I am at a loss of words on how to describe spelt. I can say that the texture of my bread is absolutely beautiful, light and practically perfect every time! Amazing, but true. I impress myself quite frequently.

Flour and Grinding Your Own Flour
Great question! Yes, spelt acts the same as wheat when you grind it into flour. It is not an oily seed, so you can send it through your regular wheat grinder. You can crack it, or make super fine flour with it and bake almost the same as with regular wheat flour. (I usually add a little more flour to my recipes when I use 100% spelt. The liquid/flour ratio is less with spelt flour. I haven't learned why, I just know it is.) It all depends on how your grinder works - as to how fine you can crack or grind your fresh flour.


Please, ask your questions, inquiring minds want to know what I forget to tell...
Talk to you again soon.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

What things are most Important to Store?